Save the Records of Our Past
Records of our ancestors provide a link to our past. SBCGS volunteers are in the process of scanning records and indexinge data from Santa Barbara County historical records, and we can use volunteers! Contact Dorothy Oksner if you're interested in helping with either scanning or indexing.
Current Community and Society Projects:
1. Editing the Carpinteria District Cemetery's new database. Editors are Helen Rydell and Dorothy Oksner. Projected completion is by year-end 2017. This project has been in the works for at least 10 years. We scanned the cemetery's index cards and built a template in order to enter information into the computer. We walked the cemetery to locate and verify burials according to the lot maps. We then entered the names into the database and are now editing the final results. There are well over 5000 burial records. The cemetery did not have a database and used only index cards for pertinent information. This would be considered a community project as well as a society project.
2. Making a database of all Union and Confederate Veterans buried in cemeteries in Santa Barbara County. The database will include biographical notes and headstone photos and the burial location. The data input can be done directly on this website with authorized access by the SBCGS member. Contact Dorothy Oksner to volunteer for this rewarding and significant addition to our online public databases. See this page for an example of a record.
3. Indexing and scanning Santa Barbara County Marriage Applications up to 1920. We have acquired funds for the purchase of a microfilm digitizer for this community project. Contact Dorothy Oksner to volunteer to index the recently scanned films.
4. Indexing Coroner's Inquest Reports - Pre 1940, from Superior Court. We are presently digitizing these reports on microfilm at the Sahyun Library and could use some help with the indexing . Contact Dorothy Oksner with questions.
1. Indexing Physician's Certificates from a register at Superior Court.
2. Indexing Naturalization records from 1921 from index books at Superior Court. Scanning is now in process.
3. Indexing Birth Records from the County Recorder's Office.
Recently Completed Projects:
1. Indexing the Finis Haskins Papers containing articles and news items from the newspaper about Montecito residents. The papers include obituaries, weddings, and deeds.
2. An Index of Wills held at and for the Santa Barbara Historical Museum's Gledhill Library. Rosa Avolio guided the project on this database.
3. An Index and digital scans of Santa Barbara County Burial Permits.
4. Indexing Welch Ryce Haider Mortuary Registers that include early C.T. Holland, Welch-Ryce and Haider records. See a sample of a record here.
Updated August 31, 2017